Over Run Over [Drama Review]

April 26, 2016

TVB has a good start this year --- some pretty decent dramas that are actually watchable. I didn't plan on giving this a try since it was led by newbies Vincent Wong and Tracy Chu. Many liked Tracy but I have yet been impressed by her until this drama came along. I love this drama over the first two 2016 dramas I've seen. With a new concept, newbies that can act, and great chemistry between the leads, this is a must-watch TVB series!


Synopsis
While on patrol duty, EU sergeant Ling San-fung and her team are called to assist a criminal chase. A gun battle erupts and San-fung loses her father, who dies from a stray bullet to the head. San-fung continues the pursuit, but a strange natural phenomena suddenly turns her away, taking her back to April 1st—three days prior to the incident. Realising that she has traveled back in time, she uses this opportunity to save her father's life.

Village chief "Ditch", an informant for the ICAC, discovers San-fung's special ability and teams up with her to investigate a corrupted cop. Unfortunately, their persistent disruption to the timeline causes severe butterfly effects, with unsettling consequences. San-fung learns that her power to change the past does not make her able to control the future.

(Credit to Wikipedia)

My Rating:
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆1/2 - 9.5/10

It would have been a 10 stars but it does take time to get pass the first few episodes. My sister recommended me to watch this so I continued on no matter how disinterested I was in the beginning. The female lead travels back so I was expecting some repeats but each time she travels back, something new happens. It becomes even more interesting when undercover cops and black cops are incorporated into the plot. I started falling in love with this drama once Vincent also travels back with Tracy and their friendship starts developing.

Definitely give this a try!
(-0.5) open ending

Cast
Tracy Chu as Ling San Fung
As a first-time female lead, she did pretty well. Just need to work on her crying scenes but everything else is great. I enjoyed watching her character travel back and her relationship with Vincent.


Vincent Wong as Hugo Kwan Ding Ming
He is one of the highlight of this drama. He is HILARIOUS especially the way he speaks using the village accent. It's also funny how he calls Tracy Fung Ki Lap. SPOILER: I am very upset that he travelled back by himself in the end but I interpreted the ending that Tracy did remember him. 

Benjamin Yuen as Kwok Sheung Ching
Not much to comment but has to say I like his character more in Speed of Life. He can definitely play a villain judging from the looks he gave towards the scenes at the end.

Pal Sinn as Chan King Wai
The first to travel back, he was a very interesting character that lingered more in the gray area.

Zoie Tam as Crystal Lee Chi Ting
She used to host but for her first major role in a drama, she did pretty well. I think she did a lot better in the beginning and middle though.

Vincent Lam as Ho Chin Cheung
He is quite good-looking for his age. Since he usually plays the villain in TVB dramas nowadays, this role is a piece of cake for him.

Rebecca Zhu as Fung Chi Ching
Nothing much to comment since she doesn't have much to do in here but she does look mature enough to play Pal's wife. 

Christine Kuo as Joyce Cheung
Her Cantonese improved immensely and she is actually watchable for once. She did gained quite some weight but she is still very pretty.

My Thoughts

1. The premise is fresh --- I don't think I've watched something like this before. It reminds me a lot of Inception since we do need to use our brain to understand some of the sci-fi elements.

2. Tracy's character stayed consistent throughout the series, same for Vincent's.

3. Vincent is extremely hilarious in here. Each time he says something, I always can't stop laughing.

4. Tracy and Vincent has great chemistry. I love their storyline since it is not too forced --- their relationship slowly develops as they go through thicks and thins together.

5. I usually enjoy watching crime thrillers so the undercover cops and black cops storyline is definitely another reason why this is a must-watch drama.

6. The ending: It is an open ending; it is quite sad though to watch the last episode but it does make the entire series memorable. I like happy endings so I am going to watch it as if it ended happily.


Music
Didn't pay attention to the music at first but after listening to it multiple times, I see the connection between the lyrics and the romance between the leads. Really love the lyrics!

I also like how this MV was put together <3 p="">
Ending Theme: The Truest Pair (最真心一对) by Stephanie Ho

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. The concept is not new, watch the movie Edge of Tomorrow, which borrows its concept from a Japanese Light Novel.

    The series implemented it pretty well for a family friendly TV drama format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment! The concept is not new but for TVB it is :) The series still has its flaws but it has been executed nicely compared to TVB dramas in the recent years. I will definitely check out Edge of Tomorrow, thanks for the rec!

      Delete
  2. like you said, the ending is pretty darn sad but I think it sent the right message - don't mess with time travel or else suffer the consequences - but I did hope for a happy ending, so I'm going to pretend there is one.

    I agreed, vincent wong is hilarious and I think he's great reason to watch this show, and the scene where he is running in his underwear carrying his mother, who wouldn't laugh at that?

    definitely worth a rewatch.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! :) I am a sucker for happy endings --- but I would still re-watch this series since concept is interesting and entertaining and good actors!

      Delete
  3. At first, i didnt think much of this drama serial. Midway through episode 8-12 i almost wanted to give up watching the storyline keeps repeating. But later on, i was touched by the love story between Tracy and Vincent and got totally hooked towards the end wanting to find out the identity of the "black cop". The most touching scene has to be when Vincent travelled back in time for the very last time and met Tracy again on the street where Tracy questioned him in her capacity as a cop. Vincent whispered nothing in her ears with a teardrop rolling down his cheek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely agree with you! The first half of the series was pretty repetitive. The pace and storyline really started to pick up as soon as Vincent started time traveling with Tracy. The last time travel where Tracy no longer remembered Vincent was quite touching and both acted really well for us to connect with their relationship.

      Delete

Blog Archive

Creative Commons

Thanks for visiting my blog!