Wu Xin: The Monster Killer 无心法师 Introduction

August 24, 2015


I decided to watch this drama after my interest in The Journey of Flower has started to dwindle. Initially unwilling to watch this due to its genre (horror), I gave it a try after my sister wanted to watch it with me to improve her Chinese. First off, this is not much of a horror drama compared to the horror movies out in the market. However, some parts are not suitable to be watched in the dark since it does give you the creeps if you do. So far, I'm only up to Episode 6 and has done a search on this drama.



Synopsis:
Wu Xin is not a normal human being, he never grows old and will never die. He doesn't know where he came from or where he is going. Wandering through boundless ages, he adventures while falling in love at the same time.

To pursue his love, during the reign of Tongzhi, he and his wife lived in seclusion in the mountains. During the Republican era, his wife died of old age and as for him because of his impoverished conditions, he is forced to leave the mountains to make a living as a monk.

------------UPDATE------------

Rating: 9.5/10 
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆1/2 - 9.5/10 stars

I've finished this drama for awhile and I really enjoyed it. I am still upset about the ending but I guess it's best for everyone. I believe Lord Gu is the most tragic character since he is the only one that remembers. To remember is not always a good thing and this is the very case that demonstrates this point. Otherwise, great acting and intriguing storyline. 

link to episode recap 
(episode 1 & 2 has been done by another blogger so you can do a  quick google search)


The Cast:



Elvis Han as Wu Xin
He has the looks and the acting chops. I love it when he smiles at Yue Ya. Since he is immortal, he will never die so I'm not worried about his ending. But definitely looks forward to his future dramas!



Gina Jin as Yue Ya
Also a newbie like Elvis and her acting is on point. I really like her character a lot especially when she dictates over Wu Xin --- she tells him he better grow back after returning as his hand only. 





Wang Yan Lin as Lord Gu Xuan Wu
Another great newbie that knows how to act. His expressions are hilarious that I love it when he comes on screen, which is why I'm hoping a happy ending for him or else I will be upset. 



Sabrena Chen as Yue Qi Luo
Her character is so creepy but she fits the role as an innocent girl who is actually demonic. She can look adorable but at the same time gives me the creeps especially with the ominous music in the background.  



Zhang Ruo Yun as Zhang Xian Zong
I kind of knew he would play a bigger part since the camera kept going back to his facial expression when Lord Gu stole the spotlight when it was his own wedding day. Don't know what his ending will be.



Mike as Bai Liu Li
I've seen Mike in Thailand's version of Full House but his character hasn't appeared yet so can't say much. 



Sui Yong Liang as Chu Chen Zi
His appearance was more of a comic relief but later on pretty such he plays a huge role in subduing Yue Qi Luo.


My Thoughts:
1. This drama airs one episode each day every Sunday and Monday (so 2 episodes total per week). So far, only 13 episodes have been released and 7 more to go. The length is great --- instead of the usual 40 episodes Mainland series that starts off strong but goes downhill due to draggy plotlines as fillers, this drama is the right length: 20 episodes only.

2. The cast is doing wonderfully great. As newbies, they are quite charismatic and act their parts exceptionally well especially ... who plays Lord Gu. I love his facial expressions!

3. So after searching for more info on this, I found out that in the original novel, Yue Ya dies as Wu Xin has different companions in each stories from the novel. But someone did an analysis and the ending can actually go both ways:

--- Translation (original text from here)---
Originally, we would think Yue Ya will definitely die in the series because of two reasons:
1) After watching the first two episodes, the series follows closely to the novel. Since the producer respects the author, the ending for Yue Ya will not be changed.
2) If Yue Ya doesn't die, how will there be a sequel? The best ending would be for Yue Ya to reincarnate into Yue Wei (guessing another character that has a romantic storyline with Wu Xin in the novel). Or else, after watching this tortuous plotline, viewers would not be in the mood to watch its sequel.

However, there is still a possibility of an alternate ending...
Because of the appearance of Bai Liu Li, which the first one shouldn't have him. On Sohu, there is a 10-minutes long trailer and from the clip, there are numerous scenes that were not in the novel, for example, the appearance of Teacher Kong in episode 3, Yue Ya being trapped in her dream, and the appearance of Bai Liu Li. An explanation is that in the original text, there weren't enough details on the romantic storyline. So when it was adapted into a television series, to avoid any loopholes, new romantic plots were added and also characters from the second installment.

4. The drama starts off slow so don't it won't be as fun to watch until past half of the first episode. But as the story progress, the drama is addictive and really enjoyable. In addition, the genre differs from the Chinese romance dramas there are nowadays.

The Music:
Opening Theme: Lake Baihal (貝加爾湖畔) by Li Jian

I really like the feel/tune of the song since I first heard it. Seeing all those sad scenes in the theme makes me feel discouraged from continuing on. But since it's only 20 episodes, I'm definitely finishing this no matter what (or who dies).

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. What is the song the plays at the beginning of all the episodes it's a slow duet I think, very beautiful can't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually not sure. Which episodes is this tune played at the beginning?

      Delete
    2. It's called Lake Baikal - Li Jian.
      I searched so much to be able to find the English name of that song.

      Delete
  2. If you watch episode 2 and all the rest there is a different song in the beginning. Go on Drama fever and click on any episode after the first one. I cannot find the song on YouTube but if there are full episodes on YouTube listen to the intro the song is absolutely beautiful it's a duet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually the ending theme for the drama. I'm surprised it's the opening on DramaFever but it's called: 最长的旅途 (The Longest Journey) and you can find it on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r3Why7HAg

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much, this made my day the song is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone know what the song at the end of each episode is called? It's sung by a woman and is sweet and beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's the preview song on DramaFever episodes I realize now. Can't find it anywhere.

      Delete
    2. Is it this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aSdx9acA8s

      This song is called 这么多年, roughly translated to "Many Years"

      Delete
  5. Did you read the recap of the novel or the entire thing? As it is my favorite drama i would like to read it. Do you know where i could read/buy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I haven't read the novel but I can't find any English translation for the novel. I did find a Chinese version which can be accessed through this link: http://www.klxsw.com/files/article/html/38/38075/

      Or you can actually buy it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Wuxin-Wu-Xin-Monster/dp/7549235333

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing the link! I am also looking for an English version of the novel as I cannot read Chinese. Do you know if there are more sequels to the book or if there are any good English translated summaries? I have read in many summaries that Wu Xin left the mountains after his lover passed, however they never mention this part in the series. I want to learn more about his back story as well as relationship with Liu Bai Lu or if he ever recovers the memories Yue Ya left behind for him.

      Delete
    3. I tried looking for the English translation but it seems like no one has started a project on it yet. Yes, it's never mentioned in the series probably to focus on the love story between Wu Xin and Yue Ya.

      I am unsure if there are sequels but I think there is since only a part of novels is adapted into a television series. There are more to the entire series. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    4. there's an english translation of this novel on this website https://dramantics.wordpress.com/the-heartless-mage-%E6%97%A0%E5%BF%83%E6%B3%95%E5%B8%88/

      Delete
  6. Hi, I love this drama so much!! I've been watching this drama twice and still amazing. But one things kind of disappointed is that there's a melody that I loved and wanna hear more about this song (In the beginning when Wuxin's walking, there's a humming women music sound in the background) but I couldn't find it I tries many different search but still can't find it so I came across this page and was wondering if you know the song. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! If you can show me where the song appears in the drama with the episode and the exact minutes, I can help you find out what the song is. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you, it's Episode 1: Started 2:00 right in the beginning scene and the melody ends right when Wuxin fell down from the mountain 3:08

      Delete
    3. Hi! I tried searching the melody but nothing came up in my search. I am still continuing in trying to figure out --- it is really a nice melody! I will keep you updated as I continue to look! :)

      Delete
  7. the watch order of the series is wuxin season 3 then season 1 then season 2...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Creative Commons

Thanks for visiting my blog!