Huan Zhu Ge Ge/Princess Returning Pearl (还珠格格)

January 15, 2013

Being named as a classic by many avid fans, I decided to give it a try. Conveniently, it was on YouTube and it was subbed so my sister watched the entire series with me. I skipped the first two episodes since I know they basically played out the synopsis. So I started off with episode three.


After finishing the whole series, I agree with all the fans out there. This is indeed a classic. It brought the leads to new height in their career. I don't know what to praise - The plot wasn't that brilliant but the cast was. Their acting brought the characters to life. Initially, I dislike Zhao Wei's Huan Zhe Ge Ge but I ended up rooting for her. The villains were also good. The queen's voice is formidable. Her servant Rong Momo is so despicable that it made my day when she was punished. I really enjoy how the actors can use their own voice back then in the series. Nowadays, all these ancient series are dubbed. Quite a pity!


The scriptwriter Qiong Yao, however, couldn't produce much series with the same success besides the first and second HZGG. With a change of cast, the third one was technically a failure compared to the previous installments; the plot line was so ridiculous that it makes it inconsistent with the first two prequels. So I'm not planning to watch it. Now I'm catching up with the sequel.

The Cast:

Vicki Zhao as Xiao Yanzi/Huan Zhu Ge Ge



Ruby Lin as Xia Zi Wei



Alec Su as Yongqi



Zhou Jie as Fu Er Kang



Zhang Tielin as Emperor Qianlong



Fan Bing Bing as Jin Suo



Dai Chunrong as Empress

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive

Creative Commons

Thanks for visiting my blog!