Duke of Mount Deer 2014 (鹿鼎记)

January 31, 2015

During my winter break, I've began watching the newest adaptation of Louis Cha/Jin Yong's wuxia novel, The Deer and the Cauldron. I haven't watched the previous version except remember bits and pieces from the 2000 Duke of Mount Deer version, starring Dicky Cheung. But I want to say this new one is really vibrant (costumes and accessories) and actually entertaining. As a fan of Han Dong and Loura Lou, I was interested to give this a try. I've only watched up to episode 11 and then stopped because of work and another drama The Empress of China starring Fan Bing Bing. However, I really love its opening and especially its ending theme - I would definitely finish this when I have time in the future!

Music
There have been many adaptations of Louis Cha's wuxia novel The Deer and the Cauldron and each has its own opening and ending theme. These songs prove to show that even adapting a novel many times, the result can end up differently based on the perspective the production team decides to focus on and show.

The Deer and the Cauldron 2014

天意如此
This song is written from Wei Xiao Bao's point-of-view; he is saying that he is not smart, does not like to read (not erudite), does not have a wealthy background, but he is loyal, does not easily admit defeat, and a list of other good traits.



你不是我从小想嫁的大英雄 by Wang Le
The lyrics of the song is written from the point-of-view of Wei Xiao Bao's wives. They are saying that he is not the hero (he's an anti-hero) they've wanted to marry since they were young. However, they were mesmerized and attracted by all his goods and bad. Really like the lyric and rhythm of this song!

曾想象你才子风流
I imagined you to be gifted and romantic
我是那添香红袖
I would be the lady to your scholar

曾想象你盖世英勇
I imagined you to be the unrivaled hero 
我为你击鼓温柔
I would be the one that gently supports you

渴望与你琴棋诗酒
Longs to play chess and recite poetry with you
渴望共你月满西楼
Longs to enjoy the full moon with you  

渴望陪你功成名就
Longs to be by your side while you make a name
渴望有你无愁无忧
Longs to have no worries because I have you 

你不是我从小想嫁的大英雄
You are not the hero I wanted to marry since I was young
既不潇洒 也不优秀
Neither handsome nor outstanding
偏偏被你的坏你的好引诱
Unexpectedly, tempted by your bad and your good
死心塌地为你哭跟你走
Abjectly, cry for you and leave with you

你不是我从小想嫁的大英雄
You are not the hero I wanted to marry since I was young
既非王子 也非高手
Neither a prince nor a fighter
恰恰被你的假你的真迷惑
Precisely attracted by your fake and your real
今生今世长相守无所求
To spend this lifetime with you, I have nothing more to ask for

你不是我从小想嫁的大英雄
You are not the hero I wanted to marry since I was young
既不潇洒 也不优秀
Neither handsome nor outstanding
偏偏被你的坏你的好引诱
Unfortunately, tempted by your bad and your good
死心塌地为你哭跟你走
Abjectly, cry for you and leave with you

你不是我从小想嫁的大英雄
You are not the hero I wanted to marry since I was young
既非王子 也非高手
Neither a prince nor a fighter
恰恰被你的假你的真迷惑
Precisely attracted by your fake and your real
今生今世长相守无所求
To spend this lifetime with you, I have no more to ask for







The Duke of Mount Deer TVB 1984's version

始終會行運 by Leslie Cheung
This song is written in Wei Xiao Bao's point of view talking about how he will always be in luck.





The Duke of Mount Deer 1998

叱吒紅人 by Jordan Chan
This song is also written from Wei Xiao Bao's point-of-view; the singing style is humorous and comical which matches his personality.


頭頂一片天  by Steven Ma
This song is written from Emperor Kangxi's point-of-view, talking about his life. 





The Duke of Mount Deer 2000

你愛我像誰 by Dicky Cheung
This song is written from Wei Xiao Bao's point-of-view but he is speaking to his wives, saying how he can play whatever roles they want him to be.


一輩子一場夢 by Dicky Cheung
This song is also written from Wei Xiao Bao's point-of-view but about his life being a dream, which it does seem like one.





Royal Tramp 2008

怎么忽然就成了这样 by Zhang Xin
This song talks about Wei Xiao Bao's wild life and how wherever he goes, he will always be in luck.


回转 by Zhang Jiang
This song also talks about Wei Xiao Bao's life, his own feelings or more like reflections towards his life.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive

Creative Commons

Thanks for visiting my blog!